Blogging War and Peace ~ 14 years old when Sunshine started blogging

I hold a dim view of most "news" outlets, both tradtional media and websites. Their purpose is more often to persuade than to report.
    Shortly after the Invasion of Iraq, I started looking for blogs by Iraqis. I didn't yet know how many people in my life would end up participating in the war - it was still for the most part an interesting study for me, and like most people I formed opinions of what was happening, and what should happen. Then Iraq became the country Kimberly Hampton died in - in Fallujah, in 2004  She became America's first female pilot killed in action.
      Then Habbiniayh, Iraq became the city that David Lindsey died in. Whenever I hear the phrase "refueling aircraft", or "mortar strike", I now think of Zandra Walker - killed in Iraq... her twin sister was also in the service, at the time, in Kuwait. 
      

      It seems odd to me, a Marine who's active service was in the early nineties, that two of the three people that I know from around here that got killed were women - YOUNG women, almost young enough to be my daughters And both absolutely beautiful, with very girly personalities.  The WMs I knew were for the most part psycho, with a few noteworthy exceptions, and most definitely not girly, with even fewer exceptions.
    I started out looking for Iraqi blogs by millitary age men writing about the war, but the only one I follow to this day is by a girl, who was 14 when she first started. She calls herself Sunshine.
    Granted, she's far from a typical Iraqi. She's from a rich family, well educated, and her family is Muslim, but of a more modern, "reformed" fiq - to poorly transpose a christian analogy. Her life perhaps very closely paralleled Kimberly's.
    Through the years, I've followed her life - and strange to say, I've come to love her, in a big-brother kind of way - though I've never written her.
    I think it's a good practice to read the blogs of civilians in the war zones we are deploying to. It really has for me put a human face on the Iraqis. If I'd never "seen" that face I might form my opinions about Iraq less thoughtfuly.
   Any opinions? 
   Any blogs you have followed?

المتابعون

المشاركات الشائعة من هذه المدونة

صفحات الفيسبوك العراقية تفيض بالجنس Facebook sex trade thrives in Iraq

خدمة إشعارات من #كي_كارد Qi عبر الرسائل النصية SMS